From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:17:41 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Robert Surenko wrote:

> >> Yes, but the experiment can not be repeated. In your previous
> >> blatherings you claimed that the only way something can be known
> >> is the Scientific Method, and it's reliable because the event can
> >> be repeated.
>
> > You don't have to repeat the shooting...all you need to do is exhume
> > the body.
>
> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?

How do you know that this was posted?

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux and QA
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:14:06 GMT

In article <96sv9f$46a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

> Please don't do that!  You had troubles all ready.  Go back to windows.
> this is not to be mean, but to help you. If you were meant to use linux,
> you would have fixed mandrake.  reinstalling will just give you headaches.
> Better to install and fix troubles, if you do you will have a stable install.
> If you buy and install all distros, you will constantly bitch about the
> install process.  It _is_ hard.  MS only products (win modems) make it harder.
> Trying to do things all gui and expecting things to work like windows makes
> things harder still.  _anyone_ would hate linux after that.  My gf told me
> that she sees why people suffer under linux.  They try to use it just like
> linux.  Step one would be to forget about windows.  Reinstalling can help
> windows troubles, but I think it tends to make things worse in linux, not
> inherently but b/c it gives you a bad attitude and a poor state of mind.

Then perhaps Linux should change, is that what you're saying?

If Microsoft work hard at making installation easy, then surely Linux can
do more if not better?

> Be the computer, Pete, and not all is lost.

I'll be myself and get on with my life.

Pete

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:18:26 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Robert Surenko wrote:

> >> Yes, but the experiment can not be repeated. In your previous
> >> blatherings you claimed that the only way something can be known
> >> is the Scientific Method, and it's reliable because the event can
> >> be repeated.
>
> > You don't have to repeat the shooting...all you need to do is exhume
> > the body.
>
> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?

You'd never make it as a detective.

The simple concept of forensic science is beyond you.

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: New Microsoft Ad :-)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:19:54 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:53:28 +0800, "nuxx" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > "mlw" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > over 6
> > >
> > > Microsoft funded tests prove that this is either incorrect or very lucky.
> > > --
> > > http://www.mohawksoft.com
> >
> > No luck about it.  If you apply datacentre type methodologies in design and
> > change control as you would with any Unix server, NT is very reliable.  Some
> > Oracle processes tend to leak memory which would eventually cause a problem
> > but they are killed and re-started for cold backup purposes on my systems,
> > so the OS stays up all the time.  Recent hardware used is stock Intel server
> > boards with Adaptec hardware RAID.  No BSODs, no crashes, nothing special.
>
> Are you saying you have a cluster of machines that you reboot individually,
> but collectively they present 99.999% uptime to the outside world?

FIVE LoseDOS machines to duplicate the availability of ONE Linux machine.
[And he STILL can't provide the same level of services as the ONE Linux machine].

> Peter
> --
>
> In the 19th century surveyors measured the height of Everest
> from 500 miles away in India.
> This cannot be repeated today. Everest is no longer visible from
> the survey location due to increased atmospheric pollution.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:21:23 -0000

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:08:17 -0500, dev null <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>You guys love the chicken-little thing, don't ya? Why do I think so?
>Because you bend over, grunt, and splatter this fetid verbal equivalent of a
>baby's diaper on usenet every couple of months or so. That's why.
>
>Be careful what you wish for. How will you advocate, er, I mean who are you
>going to smear once MS and its 'lusers' are gone?

        Once the market is working reasonably well it will be a moot point.

--

        Freedom != Anarchy.

          Some must be "opressed" in order for their
        actions not to oppress the rest of us.

                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:22:12 -0500

Ian Davey wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >>
> >> No. We live in a democracy and we are free to not have guns if we wish. I
> >> think there is more freedom in restrictive gun laws because it means that
> >> I am free to live my life without getting shot. I want that freedom.
> >
> >Those laws will not protect you from getting shot.
>
> True, but the fewer weapons in circulation the lower your chances of getting shot.

Actually not.

It merely emboldens criminals to use guns without fear of retaliation.

> People rather outlaw handguns than have someone with legally held weapons go on the
> rampage (as happened at least twice here). The people decided they wanted
> handguns banned, so the government obeyed the will of the people.

Handgun bans have NEVER lowered the rate of violence anywhere...and in
most cases where it is tried, the large and stupid soon discover that
they can get their way by beating to a pulp anybody who opposed them.

> >If we really want to save lives here, why not ban alcohol so that the
> >DUI rate goes down?  DUIs kill more people every day than hand guns do
> >all year.
>
> Guns are specifically designed to kill, alcohol isn't. You could also put an
> end to DUI's by banning cars, but they're not designed to kill either.
>
> ian.
>
>  \ /
> (@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
> /(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
>  | |

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:23:26 -0500

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> Craig Kelley wrote:
> > If we really want to save lives here, why not ban alcohol so that the
> > DUI rate goes down?  DUIs kill more people every day than hand guns do
> > all year.
>
> Prohibition is unlikely to work as well as flaming high taxes; while
> people may grumble about taxes, banning drink would be far more unpopular
> and all the politicians know it.  We're more likely to see a legalization
> of cannabis than a banning of booze...

Translation: Contraband laws don't work.

And yet, you think that declaring handguns to be contraband will work....
which contradicts your other observation.

> Donal.
> --
> Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -- I may seem more arrogant, but I think that's just because you didn't
>    realize how arrogant I was before.  :^)
>                            -- Jeffrey Hobbs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gregory L. Hansen)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy
Date: 20 Feb 2001 22:24:07 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
J.B Moreno <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Donal K. Fellows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Nick Condon wrote:
>> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.B Moreno) wrote

>> > If Project One is under the BSD, there is no guarantee that Project Two
>> > will ever see the source code. The GPL provides that guarantee.
>>
>> No.  If project 1 is GPL then unless project 2 is GPL, project 1 will never
>> get used as part of project 2, the developers of which will instead have to
>> use some other equivalent code.  There's usually an alternative somewhere.
>
>Or it might tank project 2.  And project 2 needn't be a commercial
>program for that to happen -- it can happen to shareware and freeware
>programs as well.

It makes as much sense to complain about GPL for tanking project 2 as it
does to complain about the guy that didn't produce any code for project
2's failure.  The guy that writes the code gets to choose the license!
That's the author's privilage.  Without him, maybe the code wouldn't have
existed at all.  Or maybe it would have existed only in a less open form.

I believe GPL has a provision for talking to an author of the code if you
wish to include it in a non-GPL project.  That may mean talking to
multiple authors, in many cases.

At any rate, if project 2 tanks, don't blame GPL.  You may as well
blame me, since I haven't released any code at all, under BSD or
GPL, and you might have made good use of the code I haven't produced.
--
"'No user-serviceable parts inside.'  I'll be the judge of that!"

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:25:10 -0500

Tim Streater wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > > No. We live in a democracy and we are free to not have guns if we wish. I
> > > think there is more freedom in restrictive gun laws because it means that
> > > I am free to live my life without getting shot. I want that freedom.
> >
> > Those laws will not protect you from getting shot.
> >
> > If we really want to save lives here, why not ban alcohol so that the
> > DUI rate goes down?  DUIs kill more people every day than hand guns do
> > all year.
>
> Where we live, perhaps. In the UK about 50 people are murdered with
> handguns each year (this includes Northern Ireland, by the way). This
> compares with 300 or so killed by people drinking (out of about 3000
> road deaths annually). In the US, 10,000 are murdered annually with

If you remove "criminals killing other criminals", the number
is substantially lower.

> handguns, and about the same again by all other means. Some 50,000 die
> annually on US roads, but I dont know how many from drink. If its the
> same proportion as here that would be about 5000 - half as many as from
> firearms.
>
> What this has to do with any of the NGs listed above not clear.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:09:58 +0000

It was the Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:18:46 -0000...
...and Donald R. McGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> The UK has seen gun crime go up since the laws passed.

This sort of claim is made by pro-gun advocates about every geographic
area where any gun control legislation has passed. Wasn't it Australia
or New Zealand where crime rates allegedly "skyrocketed" after gun
control was legislated, whereby in reality they did not even increase?

mawa
--
Le Sort avait raison; tous gens sont ainsi faits :
Notre condition jamais ne nous contente :

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:26:59 -0500

Tim Streater wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey) wrote:
>
> > rampage (as happened at least twice here). The people decided they wanted
> > handguns banned, so the government obeyed the will of the people.
>
> Well not really. There was just a kneejerk reaction in the media and the
> Govt went OTT (a bit like the Dangerous Dogs Act). The people enjoying
> their sport (of shooting guns in ranges at gun-clubs) were then unable
> to pursue this sport.

Who gives a fuck about sport.  The primary purpose of a gun is to protect
yourself and your loved ones from any person or persons who mean do you harm.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: Help with display properties
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:27:29 -0000

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 13:32:32 GMT, John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi I installed redhat 6.2 on my computer and when I open let say properties
>of
>display the dialog box does not fit my display and I have move the box
>around to click buttons, it is 640X480. I can not make higher resolution
>beacause my monitor is an old 14'. So I want just to correct what I can.

        Actually an 8 year old generic 14" monitor should be quite
        capable of doing 1024x768.

[deletia]

        Whether or not your virtual screen will fit on your physical
        screen is more an issue of your video card than your monitor.
        If your vidcard is well enough supported and you tell Xfree
        that the monitor can do 640x480 there really shouldn't be any
        reason for it to work with minimal fuss.
--

        The ability to type

                ./configure
                make
                make install

        does not constitute programming skill.                  |||
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:29:20 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> John Rudd wrote:
> >
> > Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> > > close.  "Political power comes from the barrel of a gun"
> > >                 --Mao Ze Dong
> > >

> > Right, I said "sounds like".  I heard it as "Power is that which
> > issues forth from the barrel of a gun."
> >
> > The 'Net equivilent might be: Software Freedom is protected by that
> > which issues forth from a DDOS.
> >
> > > -- Aaron R. Kulkis Unix Systems Engineer DNRC Minister of all I
> > > survey ICQ # 3056642
> > >
> > [long .sig trimmed]
> >
> > Dude, ever heard of netiquette? :-)   no more than 4-6 lines,
> > please. :-)
>
> Dude, ever hear that 20M hardrives are obsolete, and 20G hard drives
> are standard equipment these days?

It's annoying to scroll through, and my newsreader doesn't recognize it
as a .sig due to excessive length, so I have to snip it out manually in