Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

As a side note, stressing only the technical issues means that
issues such as DRM, Trusted Computing and the DMCA are left out
altogether.

These are technical issues. One should not restrict generic
technologies because they can be used for wrong purposes. I certainly
didn't mean that.

After hitting the "send" button, I realized that this paragraph was not very well phrased. I'll try and explain what I tried to say.

All of the above technologies and laws are bad on technical reasons. That much is true. However, if your view of them is purely technical, you will notice that they are only bad for you IF YOU ARE USING OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE. If you are not (such as most law makers), they don't seem to be so bad.

On the other hand, the principles and freedoms that are taken away from you if these laws and technologies are put in effect affect everyone. Everyone knows why monopolies are bad, what anti-competitive behaviour means and why it's illegal, what free market means and the word "choice". Not everyone accepts that if a given technology kills you ability to run "Linux", that's a bad thing.

What I meant to say is that the idealistic approach has to be taken to combat these things, as we don't have automatic supporters where the decisions are being made.

Shachar