On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 23:33, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:

> The more I think about it, the more problem I have with it. I distrust
> ideology (managing to respect the notion in the process), and I have
> resolved many years ago that I would not be a member of any
> organization whose purposes and charter are beyond purely
> professional. This is regardless of whether I support the ideology in
> question or not.
>
> Please don't take it as reflecting in any negative way on Hamakor or
> its members or their views. I would like to hope that Hamakor could be
> an organization of cpmputer professionals that deals with technology,
> leaving ideology to "Opinion" pages. I don't think Hamakor should
> *explicitly* deal with bringing freedom to the society, noble as the
> cause may be. If Hamakor has ideological purposes, I'll have to deal
> with the conflict with who I am. I guess I'll have to re-read the
> amuta's web site.

Oleg,

<Disclaimer>The following is *my* private opinion and mine alone, not
any official Amuta stuff.</disclaimer>

In that case, I believe membership in Hamakor is not for you. I will
explain why:

Hamakor is NOT an organization of computer professional. Some of the
current members aren't computer proffesional at all and I seriously hope
that we will get *more* non proffesionals in the future.

Furthermore, while I will not comment on whether we are an "ideological"
organization or not (becuase I'm not sure what that means), I do believe
that freedom is a good thing in a very practical sense whether this
practical sense is expressed in better software OR in a better society.

This does not have to mean that we should have a Dogma(tm). I've always
tried to not let my ideals keep me from doing the Right Thing(tm) and I
don't like a set and fixed rules that says: this is OK, this isn't
simply because I think life are simply not that simple. But between this
and forgoing the idea that freedom is good altogether there is a long
road IMHO.

Just my 2cs,
Gilad.