After browsing some favored CSS sites, some by Standards Evangelist, there seems to be a decline in the use of print styles. Has some movement escaped my research?

The University of Waterloo has print CSS that removes the left navigation and changes the layout to 100% from a fixed pixel width (fixes some odd printing quirks with some people). The idea was to save paper by not printing something that is totally useless on paper - navigation, search box, etc.

One of the problems with it when it first appeared in the campus standard nearly two years ago was that a lot of internal folks had a hard time figuring out why what was on the screen was not what was coming out of their printer. Some people got really upset. They don't mind the click to a print version but the auto-format on print just freaks some people out.

I think print styles aren't as common because it is just not what people seem to want, they want to print what they see on the screen exactly as it appears.

Jesse

--
Jesse Rodgers
Manager, Web Communications