Peter,

You've hit a lot of interesting sore spots for the software and for the
community.

The truth of the matter is, LMMS has been in dire need of performance
enhancements for quite some time, some of which are slated to make it into
a future release that we are testing now (won't be available until after
the 1.1 series).

Like many other free projects, the technical skills of the development
staff vary greatly and their availability varies even more.

There are some very valid reasons for the major issues you've described,
but I'll let someone more technically involved than myself answer those.

Thanks for sharing your story and keep checking back for new versions.  We
are in a bit of a renaissance period right now and that is helping progress
tremendously, but at the end of the day we have a lot of users and very few
developers.  Please send any computer science students our way, we could
use some aspiring C++ helpers. :)

-Tres