> Yes.  Sadly, no improvement.  Just now, I set up a single Piccolo staff in
> Musescore with a medium-tempo quarter-note scale running up the full range
> of the instrument.  Plugged into lmms and played back, notes are randomly
> dropped in the upper register.

Maybe a verification on different hardware could help? If you'll find
some free time for this, perhaps try to place somewhere the following
for download:

- a few minutes long recording (OGG or MP3) of broken playback (with
dropped notes)
- the same melody played back PROPERLY (by the software able to do
this... Ableton maybe? They offer free limited trial version, if I'm
correct)
- a project file, ready to use by any LMMS installation

Such way we can test it using our machines... maybe you're missing
something important in your description? If the playback using my LMMS
was the same as the "proper" variant, we could have at least the
answer: "something's wrong with your LMMS installation, not with LMMS
in general".
--
Z.