Doug Cutting wrote:
And we also want to try not to break URLs when we move things. For this reason it's best to move things as few tims as possible, so that we don't end up with a confusing set of redirects.

More to the point, we also want to try not to break email addresses. So the fewer times we change them the fewer forwards we'll have to maintain. The new dev list should be [EMAIL PROTECTED], the new user list should be [EMAIL PROTECTED], etc.

If folks don't like the moniker "Lucene Java" then we could consider different names, like "Lucene4j" or somesuch.

Apache started out with just a single project, the web server. When other (now called "top level") projects were added, the webserver was renamed "Apache Server" and was hosted at httpd.apache.org. Eventually the name evolved to "Apache HTTP Server".

We're in a similar situation. Lucene is both the top-level name and the flagship sub-project. It is the burden of the sub-project to rename itself.

However if we want to take more time to consider what to name Lucene Java, then we should backout the redirects and stay at http://www.jakarta.apache.org/lucene/ until we've picked a new name.

Doug