> There where
> well establish trade routes from India to the middle east.  There is some
> pretty convincing evidence that Christ traveled to India at that time, and
That "Gospel Vindaloo theory" doesn't hold lassi, I'm afraid.....

     You couldn't have made my point any better. Most westernly trained
theorist's dismiss this in the same way.

> Lutes appear in the eastern Mediterranean long before >Christ, probably
>during the Hittite invasion.

     And where does one find evidence for this? Graffiti on the bathroom
walls in  ancient Mesopotamia?

> brought back with him the Buddhist traditions of a >monastatic order and
> compassion, which took hold centuries later in >Christendom.
>I do not recall the Redeemer advocating monasticism, >but Mathias will
surely
>clarify the issue

>     I said it was established centuries after Christ. > I challenge
> anyone to find a monastatic order, anywhere in the world other than in
> Buddhist India 500 year before the appearance of Christ.
>Some argue that Essences were kind of monastic

     They seem to be influenced in that direction, although not a tradition
is the sense of what we are familiar with in the west.
  I guess Roman,  you believe that all of a sudden everywhere throughout the
world people instantly came up with the idea of a monastic order.  This is
the kind of thing a doctor would say to a patent when he can't figure out
the specific cause of a disease. A vague dismissal of reality.

    the lute, a paired shaped round body instrument took place in the East.
>>> While the Greeks developed the lyre.
>>> Michael Thames
>> Not necessarily. Mediterranean basin had its own lutes very early, way
>> before there was any contact with the Far East.
>> RT

       Most country's and well established cultures have a musical
instrument associated with it...  US of A a steel string guitar,  Middle
east , the Oud,  India a sitar, Germany a 13 course lute, France an 11
course lute, Italy a 6 course lute, Spain a Spanish guitar, and through the
Gypsy's ( of Indian origins I might add) the Flamenco guitar.  And let's see
what's left.... Oh yea, Greece, why don't you fill in the blank, I'll give
you a hint,  It's not a lute.
Michael Thames
www.ThamesClassicalGuitars.com