>   I am only aware of  two major religions in the world that have a monastic
> order

there is still another, i. e. the Shiite part of the world of Islam,
which has quite a few orders (from several very ancient Darwish orders
to little extremist orders like Naqshibandy)

>  the question is simple ... who came first? Or was it spontaneous combustion?

as for Christianity, I may say that monasticism has resulted from a long
development that was started when the first 3rd century Egyptian eremite
radically seperated himself from worldly affairs and flew into the
desert (Anthony). No rules at first, like no meat, no alcohol etc.
Entirely different from Buddhism.

BTW the Buddha didn't invent monasticism, it was already in existence
when the Shakyamuni went outdoors. He is reported to have joined several
different orders before his illumination.

Best wishes (and let's return to the lutes, gents),

Mathias