I think that depends on what sort of context in which you intended to replace
the theorbo with a Renaissance lute.

If you’re thinking of providing accompaniment for a singer in a domestic
context, the lute can play the notes, just not the low octaves at cadences.

Any more than that, the Renaissance lute doesn’t provide enough volume or
support.

Edward C. Yong
edward.y...@gmail.com