Ren lute is absolutely fine. When I played in the Collegium at Eastman,
   Paul (O'Dette) occasionally sat in with us continuo players. He always
   used his 8 course because he said it was easier to conduct without the
   long neck. In addition to this, the instrument handles modulations
   easily and can tackle a wider range of figures with greater potential
   for "proper" voice leading. (Although period players weren't overly
   concerned with the latter.) True, on the whole overall volume will be
   minimized, but what it lacks in body can be made up for in punch. As
   always, playing this lute thumb out, close to the bridge, is a good
   idea that is supported in period iconography.
   There is plenty of historical precedent for using the Renaissance lute
   in this manner. Agazzari called the lute the King of the Instruments
   because in an ensemble it could play both lead lines and chordal
   accompaniment. In fact, he goes so far as to say that all other
   instruments should model their continuo playing after what lutenists
   did. Iconography shows a huge variety of lutes being played in all
   manner of ensembles. The concept that the "Renaissance" lute should be
   confined to pre-1600 and that the large Roman theorbo is the most
   correct instrument to use in baroque plucked continuo is a thoroughly
   modern one that didn't exist during the actual period.
   Chris
   [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

     At Nov 2, 2014, 21:35:42, Herbert