I think the real reason for the invention of the theorbo was to provide
   easy fodder for an unending stream of juvenile phallic jokes. My
   favorite was after a rehearsal for Monteverdi's Vespers. One of the
   singers, a very attractive young lady, came up to me and said, "Oooooo,
   that thing is ENORMOUS! I've been watching you and wondering, is it
   true that a man who plays such a BIG, LONG instrument will also have a
   HUGE..."
   [Wait for it. Sexy, seductive eyes are being made at me.]
   "...car trunk?"
   I don't recall ever having been so simultaneously amused and
   disappointed. Actually, that's not true. I have the identical feeling
   when I see my paycheck after most gigs.
   Pluck on,
   Chris
   [1]Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad