If you believe the lute 'works well'  and is 'quite audible' for
   continuo in ensemble, such as that required for a Bach harpsichord
   concerto, why do you think the theorbo was ever invented?

   From: Geoff Gaherty <ge...@gaherty.ca>
   To: "lute@cs.dartmouth.edu" <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
   Sent: Monday, 3 November 2014, 13:42
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: Ren lute as sub for theorbo
   On 2014-11-03, 8:18 AM, Christopher Wilke wrote:
   > Ren lute is absolutely fine. When I played in the Collegium at
   Eastman,
   >    Paul (O'Dette) occasionally sat in with us continuo players. He
   always
   >    used his 8 course
   I played continuo on my 7-course renaissance lute for many years in a
   baroque ensemble class at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto.
   Although I own an archlute, the 7c was much more portable, easier to
   play, and sounded just fine.  Some chords were awkward because of the
   tuning, but otherwise it worked well, and was quite audible in our
   ensemble of 5 or so.  Heck, I even played continuo in a Bach
   harpsichord
   concerto!
   Geoff
   --