On 2014-11-03, 8:18 AM, Christopher Wilke wrote:
Ren lute is absolutely fine. When I played in the Collegium at Eastman,
    Paul (O'Dette) occasionally sat in with us continuo players. He always
    used his 8 course

I played continuo on my 7-course renaissance lute for many years in a baroque ensemble class at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto. Although I own an archlute, the 7c was much more portable, easier to play, and sounded just fine. Some chords were awkward because of the tuning, but otherwise it worked well, and was quite audible in our ensemble of 5 or so. Heck, I even played continuo in a Bach harpsichord concerto!

Geoff

--
Geoff Gaherty
Foxmead Observatory