On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 03:34:24AM +0100, Uwe StÃhr wrote:

> >...because manuals should be as dry as dust, and so boring that nobody
> >looks at them?
>
> Yes of course ;-) I mean commands like "If you use Export->PostScript
> you can start drinking a coffee" (translated from the german docs). If
> users don't laugh about it, it scares them off.

Running latex on a book takes time.  There's no need trying to hide
that fact in the docs.  Fortunately, this is something people don't have to
do all the time, so you can calm them down with that, if you worry.  And
of course they won't wait long for a postscript conversion on a two-page
text...

> Nobody read a UserGuide from the beginning to the end.

Maybe I'm special then.  When I get something, I try reading the manuals
_first_.  Of course I sort of give that up if they're bad, but the
lyx manual was fine.  Well written and showing all the stuff one can
do.  I tried out various interesting things with test documents.
Of course a manual for a editing tool is somewhat special, in that
you actually read the manual with the tool itself.  Still, it was
a nice experience.  Don't underestimate peopleï's curiosity, the lyx manual
isnï't boring for someone interested in editing, typesetting, poptions
and tricks.

> Except of the
> tutorial, docs are used as reference book.

Helge Hafting