> Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2000 11:12:51 -0700
> From: "Alexander V. Voinov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I've come across a real example, which contains an accidental in
> parenthesis (don't know [the English for] its musical name). I use M-Tx,

cautionary accidental

> which is great for the type of music (vocal) which I type. But I failed
> to find a proper notation for the type of accidental, which in MusiXTeX
> is expressed by \cna and friends. [...]

The PMX equivalent is "oen"/"oes"/"oef" as "ornament". This display the
cautionary accidental on top of the note or on top of the staff whatever
ist higher.

> May I ask somebody to help me write one or two macros which I would use,
> this way, for example:
>
> | .....  \bignameanscna\ d8n ..... |
>
> or
> | .....  \bignameanscna\ d8n \bignameansbigna\ ..... |

I'm not sure whether I correctly understand what you want, but maybe
the following PMX-code may help you (I'm not so used to M-Tx).
It defines a TeX-Macro \cntry\ which make the next PMX-generated
accidental into a cautionary accidental. I'm not sure whether it
works with grace notes and it will not work with chords if there
is more than one note with an accidental. And if you use PMX to
generate Midi then the sound may be other than printed.

1 1 3 4 3 4 0 -2
1 2 20 0

./

Abr

\\let\bignasav\bigna\
\\let\bigshsav\bigsh\
\\let\bigflsav\bigfl\
\\let\nasav\na\
\\let\shsav\sh\
\\let\flsav\fl\

\\def\ctnrest{\let\bigna\bignasav\let\bigsh\bigshsav\let\bigfl\bigflsav\
 \\let\na\nasav\let\sh\shsav\let\fl\flsav}\
\\def\ctnry{\
\\def\bigna##1{\ctnrest\cna{##1}}\
\\def\bigsh##1{\ctnrest\csh{##1}}\
\\def\bigfl##1{\ctnrest\cfl{##1}}\
\\def\na##1{\ctnrest\cna{##1}}\
\\def\sh##1{\ctnrest\csh{##1}}\
\\def\fl##1{\ctnrest\cfl{##1}}}\

    d45s dn df \ctnry\ ds \ctnry\ dn \ctnry\ df ds dn df /
L2M e45s en ef \ctnry\ es \ctnry\ en \ctnry\ ef es en ef /

The 2nd line shows that \cfl does not work correctly with
relative accidentals if the flat is turned into a double flat.

Daniel, do you hear me?

  \cdfl generates correctly:  (bb)
  If \cfl together with \relativeaccid has to generate something like
  \cdfl then the result looks bad:  (b)b

Here's the test case:

\generalsignature{-2}
\startextract\NOtes\cdfl e\qa e\en\endextract
\relativeaccid
\startextract\NOtes\cfl e\qa e\en\endextract
\bye
\generalsignature{-2}
\startextract\NOtes\cdfl e\qa e\en
\generalsignature1\changecontext