Philip, et al --

...and then Philip Mak said...
%
% I think a better way of handling this would be for mutt to remember what
% messages were marked as deleted when "$" was pressed. If the user then
% confirms the deletion but mutt detects a changed mailbox, it should go
% read the mailbox again, then delete any messages that were originally
% marked as deleted and are still marked as deleted.

This can't be done, AFAIK, under mbox; when a message is flagged for
deletion, you will either purge it with a sync (or a write) or keep it
and toss the flag if you exit without changes.  As a result, mutt won't
ever write a deletion flag back to an mbox file -- and the example of
reading a changed mailbox to look for "still marked as deleted" will fail.
[Note that one can be there when the file is opened; I procmail in a
flag to mark some junk for as it arrives but not throw it away because
I want to know that it has come in and sometimes want to read it.]

%
% I may not be fully aware of any problems in implementing this, though
% (maybe my reasoning is flawed somewhere, maybe there's a technical reason
% that makes it difficult to implement this, etc.).

Other than the mbox example above, I dunno nothin' :-)

HTH & HAND & Happy Holidays to all

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]