Hi.

On 22 maj 2007, at 11.12, Lemonnier, Erwan wrote:

Hi you all!

First, a huge thanks to Jonas, Lars and the other members of the danish NPW team! It was a most interesting and revigoring workshop you gave us!

second that

Tobias could get us some support from Stockholm's university, a bit like the Oslo workshop did. We could probably get access to their conference rooms for free/cheap, in exchange for giving the workshop an orientation that would interest students and teachers.

A preliminary suggestion would be to focus the workshop on talks that discuss dynamic programming and dynamic features in Perl. We would for example have talks about the new features in Perl6 and Parrot, about dynamic constructs such as closures, continuations, metaclass hacking, code generation, etc.

Altho I like the idea I don't think it should be totally focused on dynamic programming because of 1) it will be very hard to find enough speakers that can speak about it and give interesting presentations, and 2) it might scare away the non-academic world (you know those who actually making money from Perl)

Instead I think it would be more to get SU or KTH support by giving their students a very very discounted price.

An other idea would be to make a bridge between the hacker community around Perl6/Parrot and the academic world. This has been an important trend for many involved in Perl6/Parrot lately, with for example Audrey Tang and Jonathan W. going to wellknown academic conferences. That could mean talks about the way Parrot's guts are implemented, the way Perl6 is being designed or the way CPAN6 will look like.

I'd say the academic world needs a bit of input from us hackers on "how to get things done". So it's a good idea.

There are already conferences and workshops for dynamic languages, such as http://dyla2007.unibe.ch/?Call_for_papers. We could do something similar but restricted to Perl.

I think we should rather not.. NPW has been and, IMHO, should continue to be a workshop focused on the application of Perl and not too heavily on internals, syntax and semantics despite the fact that I too find that interesting. Seriously? how many professional programmers (- academia) actually cares extremely deeply about it unless they are really interested in it.

/Claes