Hi,

On 23 maj 2007, at 10.39, Tobias Wrigstad wrote:
Hi guys,

"resistance is futile, you will be assimilated"

Welcome to the crowd of Perl community volunteers =)

If you're not already on the Stockholm Perl Mongers list maybe you want to join it as well.

What I was thinking would be to try and get academics to give
presentations thinking that talks of a more general nature should
be interesting to the Perl community too. A bit like a basic
course in algorithms are good regardless of programming languages.
Cool and inspiring stuff is cool and inspiring to Perl programmers
too. I think you get my point. And I think academics will get
something out of meeting vibrant programming crowd.

well, NPW has traditionally assumed the attendees to have at least an intermediate level of programming experience and understanding of Perl and I think we should try to keep it that way. The conference is not about teaching specific areas as it is to spawn an interest around cool Perl stuff and the social bit of getting to know people with similar interests. The few introductory presentations we've had has been around a specific toolkit or concept such as OO in Perl.

I'd love to see more students at NPW but unless they have some understanding of Perl and the community it might be hard for them to grasp what it's all about. If it can be arranged I'd be willing to give an introductory course on Perl and its surroundings to those who are interested.

I also understand that you want to protect the P in NPW, by all
means. I think my goal fits under a more general theme hat. The
important bit is who you try to coerce to come to town, I guess.

Maybe not fanatically but IMHO I want a workshop about and around Perl and not programming in general. There are of course different ways of protecting P - building borders or embracing others. I vouch for the second option.

I am hopeful that we can work something out with the University
for venue. I am not sure exactly what the policy is, and what
deals have been struck before, but I will try and find out and
report back to you. (I'm not in Sweden at the moment, so this
will happen next week at the earliest.)

Excellent =)

/Claes