Hi guys,

I'm one of the academics Erwan talked about. In case you are
wondering, what makes me interested in helping out with NPW
are two things:

1) connecting PL researchers with the PL communities
2) connecting students with PL communities

I think that the Programming Language community and the
PL researchers in the academia have a lot to offer each other.
For example, there is a lot of cool stuff that's only available
in research languages (and Perhaps in Perl 6...) but very few
really widespread languages have ever come out of academia. I'd
like to see that changed.

What I was thinking would be to try and get academics to give
presentations thinking that talks of a more general nature should
be interesting to the Perl community too. A bit like a basic
course in algorithms are good regardless of programming languages.
Cool and inspiring stuff is cool and inspiring to Perl programmers
too. I think you get my point. And I think academics will get
something out of meeting vibrant programming crowd.

For the student bit, I really think they will benefit from getting
involved in PL communities -- be it Perl or any other fairly open
and friendly programming community. They will learn stuff, and
make

I also understand that you want to protect the P in NPW, by all
means. I think my goal fits under a more general theme hat. The
important bit is who you try to coerce to come to town, I guess.

I am hopeful that we can work something out with the University
for venue. I am not sure exactly what the policy is, and what
deals have been struck before, but I will try and find out and
report back to you. (I'm not in Sweden at the moment, so this
will happen next week at the earliest.)

--Tobias