> I'd say the academic world needs a bit of input from us hackers on "how to
> get things done". So it's a good idea.

Which is precisely what could win us a number of attendees from the academia.

> NPW has been and, IMHO, should continue to be a workshop focused on the
> application of Perl and not too heavily on
> internals, syntax and semantics despite the fact that I too find that
> interesting. Seriously? how many professional
> programmers (- academia) actually cares extremely deeply about it unless they
> are really interested in it.

I agree with Claes. The workshop is first of all for Perl programmers, and we
would anyway have a hard time gathering enough material to run a workshop only
dedicated to dynamic stuff.

But we could have it as a theme, and run say one track that kind of focuses
more on Perl6, parrot and dynamic stuff the Perl way. There already exists many
talks given at previous workshops/yapcs that would fit in there (I am thinking
of the kind of talks Audrey Tang, Jonathan Worthington or Leopold Tötsch
sometimes give).

That I think would be enough, especially if it can win us the support of
Stockholm's university/kth.

What we have today is a number of motivated contacts at DSV, the computer
science department common between Stockholm's university and KTH. I have met 3
persons there, all teaching a variety of courses ranking from 'introduction to
programming'-level to advanced courses on dynamic languages. Read: they have
contacts with a wide range of students. That, together with Claes's suggestion
of low fees for students (or none at all? If we get the rooms for free...)
could bring us quite many attendees.

Furthermore, one of them, Tobias, has the right contacts to obtain support from
the university. According to him it shouldn't be a problem getting access to
some rooms provided the workshop can be of interest to students (that's the
motivation for the university) and especially if it is in june (when most
students have left campus), over a week-end and we can plan in the dates a long
time in advance.

Of course, all this is still very undefined yet. But it gives us an idea of
what can be done :)

/Erwan