On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 05:48:12PM +0200, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
> On 10/28/2010 04:59 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> >
> >if the font is okay, accessing by glyph name will work ok
>
> The font is an 8-bit encoding-indexed Macintosh Roman font
> presenting itself as TrueType, and that is why it is so
> confusing.
>
> Because the font says it is in MacRoman encoding, and the glyph
> names are pointless affairs like /c140 (which is the king symbol)
> instead of sane names, fontforge takes that the '140' part of
> the name is a decimal code point in MacRoman encoding.
>
> This is correct behavior on fontforge's part, but it means that
> the Unicode remap becomes slightly messy, as /c140 maps to
> 'LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH RING ABOVE'., and the glyph named
> /c229 (which is in fact the aring symbol) maps to 'LATIN CAPITAL A
> WITH CIRCUMFLEX', and /194 (which is the Acirc) maps to 'NOT SIGN',
> etc. etc. In short: the font's glyph naming is anemic.
>
> Now, it appears that luaotfload produces a rubbish .lua file, probably
> because it dumps both the MacRoman and the Unicode assignment at the
> same time as a merged table. That is a bug, but that is an issue for
> the luaotfload maintainers, not something for the context mailing list.

As one of the luaotfload maintainers, I assure you that we never touch
such low level code :) at least to stay compatible with ConTeXt (I
really really have no interest in two incompatible OpenType
implementations, so in regard to that luaotfload is not a real fork but
ConTeXt code wrapped in some LaTeX palatable sweetener).

> In context itself, \char140  actually and correctly produces the king
> symbol.

This either means it was fixed in later version of ConTeXt (our code is
derived from the texlive version), or the ConTeXt variant is doing more
stuff than what the plain one does.

Regards,
 Khaled

--