Am Thu, 28 Oct 2010 19:17:19 +0200 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>>> in context it is possible to 'patch' a font before it gets cached but
>>> that's just a hack; in luaotf I can imagine that you intercept the font
>>> just before it gets passed to tex, but anyway, it's asking for problems
>>> with respect to future proof processing
>>
>> Well I don't want to patch the font system. But why can't I change
>> the font data after the \font\test=... line? Is the data somewhere
>> in the memory where it can't be touched? If yes is it possible to
>> copy the data, change it and then use the changed data to define a
>> new font \testb?
>
> as direct manipulation at that level is doomed to fail in the future
> (nothing is written in stone till we have luatex 1.0) the best I can
> think of is to provide a function that does the job

Hm. I do have a bit the impression as if we have here a context and
latex philosophy clash. I'm not asking you to provide a funktion
incorporated in the context code which does the job. _I_ want to
write support files for the chess ttf-fonts. If I get something
working I will perhaps add it to my package. And if something
changes in luatex or the underlying luaotfload/context code, well
then I will have to adjust my code.

Couldn't you give some examples how to manipulate a font after it
has been defined with \font\test (if it is possible) and then let me
play around?

--
Ulrike Fischer