On Tuesday 22 December 2009, Yegor Yefremov wrote:
> After applying the latest patches 0.4-rc1 I encountered the following error:
>
> halt
> flash write_image erase image.bin 0x1000 bin
> auto erase enabled
> address range 0x00001000 .. 0x000135d3 is not sector-aligned
> Command handler execution failed
> in procedure 'flash' called at file "command.c", line 637
> called at file "command.c", line 352
>
> my image has 75220 bytes. According to your patch
> 3f18900b19f49a84ba9df56f2e089c255e610011, only whole sectors are
> allowed. As far as I understand if my image has only one section, it
> will not be padded (see flash_write_unlock) or in general the last
> section will not be padded. Due to the new constraint of whole sectors
> the last section will be rejected if it has the "wrong" size. Do I see
> it right?

Right.  I confess that I expected this to break some things,
which would then need to be fixed.  Here's the first.  :)

The problem is that automatically erasing things outside
of the specified range is actively dangerous; it will break
things.

In this write_image case it might make sense to pass a flag to
the low level code saying it's OK to just issue a warning.

I'll look at the details on this later.

- Dave