Hi,

Sounds good, but perhaps not for everyone. This will be integrated into
the main firmware or will it always be a package? I'm not concerned
about it being installed per default in the OpenWrt-built firmware, but
will it be difficult to remove overall or will the LuCI code be mixed up
with non-GUI scripts?

Like Eric with Gargoyle, I also already have a GUI for kamikaze. I will
not bore you with defaults, other than to say it completely separates UI
from data by using a completely static web "application" (which can be
put on the router or into a desktop app!) while only requiring very
minimal 'data services' scripts on the router. It is also not specific
to OpenWrt, is very suitable for a desktop GUI or built into a back-end
web application, all using the same VERY simple XML GUI logic.

As for LuCI, I would like to know more about why Lua and hence LuCI? You
say "It's not that difficult." - yet it does require learning a new
language for most people and I don't see the huge benefit over using
traditional shell scripts. It might be faster, but is that at the cost
of complexity? It might be simple (once you know it), but enough to
attract new developers?

I also agree with Eric, that the 'kitchen sink' doesn't really make for
a good router interface. It might be useful for more advanced users -
who know and understand all the options of a program, but not for your
target audience, imho. And, as a application developer, I'm less
interested in spending time making a 'smart' GUI for my application if
it is limited to LuCI -- I would rather spend my time on something a bit
more portable as my application also isn't limited to OpenWrt.

That is at least some feedback. That notwithstanding, good work and
great project!

David