Hi,

I think this is a good idea. Though, it isn't the 'break-up' I imagined
when I first started reading your message. I just assumed the LuCI webif
was minimal with the option of adding tabs -- much like the original
webif.

I suppose the questions I still have about the LuCI webif project are:

  1) will it try to only configure UCI files, or will it generally be
creating application configuration files?

  2) will it become the driving force in defining the UCI variables and
their meanings?

In my mind, there are several distinct elements:

- creating application configuration files for the packages needed to
implement 'features'.
- defining and the logic of 'feature settings' (for lack of a better
term) expressed in UCI, for example "LAN DHCP Network" being written
into UCI config/dnsmasq or config/chilli based on the option "Hotspot
Enabled".
- and the web interface to configure it.

The first element is largely the task of shell scripts for core
settings, and the rest is LuCI.

The more you keep the elements separate, the easier it is to switch out
the pieces, which I believe is a key element in getting a broader
contributor community over those interested in this specific web
presentation. I would even add another element above the webif for:

- configuration and status web services (API)

to further decouple the features (gathering status, setting UCI) from
the presentation layer.

Cheers,
David