> I thought Gargoyle was interesting, although my money is on serving the
> config files as xml, using xslt to do the presentation layer parsing the
> xml-ified config files to html+css and then using ajax calls to pass
> back the data. As a result, there would be a single url per /etc/config
> file and only a sparse api for passing uci variables.

This is in some respects what I'm working toward. In a nut-shell, it
involves:

- A Google Web Toolkit application which generates a "web application"
in pure JavaScript/HTML. These static files can be served zipped off the
router or embedded in Adobe AIR, Firefox (XULRunner), or WebKit.

- All GUI screens are in XML, served up in JSON formatted Ajax calls.

- UCI data is (basically) taken to/from JSON (and/or XML) via Ajax
calls.

As discussed, there is a bit of scripting glue required, which I'm using
simple shell scripts and a small CGI to handle the JSON, XML, and script
handling.

> And to think uci was invented to simplify things ...

The concept of having configurations in XML could help. It's a bit
easier to make rigid definitions, version these definitions, create
off-line syntax checkers, and render the data in all sorts of
formats...

David