On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 12:38:24PM +0200, wlanmac wrote:
> > But if you are using the Gargoyle approach - that is not bad but simply a
> > different approach - you have to mess up with Shell and learn JavaScript or
> > in your case *yourFrontendLanguage*.
> >

> True. But, I'd argue that JavaScript and XML tools are useful
> technologies for anyone to know.

I thought Gargoyle was interesting, although my money is on serving the
config files as xml, using xslt to do the presentation layer parsing the
xml-ified config files to html+css and then using ajax calls to pass
back the data. As a result, there would be a single url per /etc/config
file and only a sparse api for passing uci variables.

> > So you need the wpa-application, the dhcp-client, the wifi configuration
> > subsystem and the network configuration subsystem of your os and probably
> > also the firewall and for that all there is no OS (or even
> > linux-distribution) independent solution. So you end up writing code for
> > each
> > linux distribution to be not limited to OpenWRT. Maybe not for all but I
> > think for the greater part of the applications.
> >

> Agreed, there is always some distribution specific glue needed. I'm
> leaning toward a 'meta configuration' (in XML) which can be edited,
> verified, and translated into distro specific configurations.

And to think uci was invented to simplify things ...

*sigh*