Hum... To come back to the subject, here is my advice on how to optimize
paged terrains rendering. :)

- First open to the DatabasePager.cpp file and take a look at all the env
variables available.
- Now play with them. :) If you have a single core CPU with an ATI card, set
an high priority for the database thread. With a multi core CPU you can set
it to the minimum priority.
- If you have an ATI card, use VertexArrays instead of displaylists or VBO.

Now if it's the rendering part the longer, it's maybe a PagedLOD
configuration problem, like setting them on PIXEL_SIZE_ON_SCREEN instead of
DISTANCE_FROM_EYE_POINT mode. I really don't know how VTB (or osgdem) set
them. Maybe the best way to play with there configuration is to set a
ReadNode callback and try to modify the settings when they are loaded.

Good luck !

--
Serge Lages
http://www.tharsis-software.com