Hi Richard,

On Jan 26, 2008 5:18 AM,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Although new to OSG, I am most certainly not new to software
> engineering, nor how to do 3D graphics. I realize it is my own pride
> that makes me feel patronized at times. This is not the first time I
> have farted at the dinner table so to speak. I need to be better about
> communicating that when I ask a vague question, I actually _am_
> looking for a vague answer that just points me towards where I should
> be focusing my attention.

The problem which causes me great frustration is that vague questions
are really
just bad questions to answer.  If someone is being vague how on earth are you
supposed to know what answer they actually required.  To answer a vague question
you first have to start off by guessing all the possible
interpretations of a vague
question and then writing an essay on all that possible
interpretations could cover.

An precise question often just takes a second to understand and often
a single line
to explain.  I can quickly reel off ten replies to these types of
questions in five minutes,
I can help ten people off on their way without having a great impact on my own
schedules.

Then we come across vague questions, they take much longer to understand and
require a number of emails back and forth just to get the
clarification about what on
earth the poster is actually after or the problem they have.  All of
this takes a huge
amount of time relative to the amount of time that sensible questions
take, its also
hard, it really takes it out of you trying to extract sense from such
threads.  Also if
you are hard pressed for time it does have detrimental affect on mood when end
up clearly wasting so much more of it than a topic deserves.

So vague question not only don't get you a useful answer quickly, but
they also are
detrimental to others in the community as too much bandwidth and good will
of those who are willing to try and help out in consumed.  Consume too much time
and goodwill and their end up being less time and goodwill to help others.

So you don't need to get better at asking vague questions better, you
just need to
stop asking vague questions and learn how to ask more precise questions.  I know
this is hard, a vague question is easy to write off the cuff and send
out, being precise
is much harder - but its much much more effective and far less
detrimental to others.