> Weird.

Yeah, just like writing software. You don't know why it doesn't work and
then don't know why it does work.

What CPU did you get? Is the RAM DDR3 or DDR4? Some boards can run both
> types.
>
> Asus mainboards boast of “audio aficionado” quality chips for
> sound/multimedia. My current years-old Asus board has HDMI and display port
> but I don’t make use of its better features.

I think this H170 board only takes DD4 (I got 2x8GB). The processor is the
lowest end i7, but it should be great for development (I have no need or
interest in high-performance for gaming). This is my first new PC for about
4 years, which is a long time in dog years! The current old one is working
generally well except for one thing ... *NOISE*.

So the fanciest part of the new PC is the case, which is padded like a
Mercedes muffler, hopefully giving me virtual silence. The old PC was
nearly silent at first, but over the years the whining and humming
increased and on a hot day the CPU fan whines up like a leaf blower. I
could replace the fans and stuff, but it's so old that it's time for a
whole new modern box. Now I'm sweating blood worried that the new case and
parts won't live up to their promise of being quiet as a mouse.

This leads me to wonder ... I have an iMac here which is as powerful as my
new PC, and it's as silent as a cold brick, with no moving parts, even on
hot days. So why do I have to get a $140 case to act as a glorified muffler
around the new PC? It reminds me of something my car mechanic said in front
of me 40 years ago when he was dismantling the steering column of a Holden
while looking at the manual which said "remove anti-rattle screw". His
comment was "if they built this thing right they wouldn't need an
anti-rattle screw".

*GK*