> That's what I was thinking.
> Could be a return or similar.
>
> Was the box all sealed when you got it?
>
> I've had an issue with a mobo before where I couldn't boot it. It turned
> out the bios version wasn't compatible with my ram, but  elevated version
> was.

Hello from my new PC! As I type, I'm installing VS2015, which is a fragile
experience because it seems to stall sometimes for hours, and I come back
and do something like cancel the install or reboot, and it redraws the
window and tells me it's finished okay. Some peculiar timing or rendering
"bug" there perhaps, but I've just overlooked it and never bothered to
search or ask about it.

Everything seemed to be nicely sealed, so I certainly hope they were virgin
parts. My friend did update the BIOS after he got the video working, but it
just adds another layer to the confusion about what on earth caused the
video to be initially dead.

The video misery isn't over, as the mobo doesn't support the 2560x1440 of
my DELL 2711 monitor and Whirlpool discussions explain all this and hint
that I will certainly need a video card. The details are boring and
depressing, but it's a tragedy that in this day and age I still have to use
a separate video card (more parts and noise). I get the impression the
standards about video aren't too standard.

The weirdest things are happening though, like the EPSON scanner dialog
pops-up and all of the text in the modal dialog are question marks ??????,
so I guess there is some Unicode problem, but you can't make this shit up.
My wife asked me "what do normal people do to get a new PC working
properly", I said "I just don't know, I guess they finish up with a
non-optimal partly working mess full of bloatware, toolbars, shortcuts,
useless services and icons and they don't know any better". A strong
argument for an iMac and the Apple Store and it's vetting process.

*GK*