> I do not think it would be as valid today with much faster clock speeds.

Oh yeah, processors are so fast now, that only a dog would be able to hear
the supersonic squeals of the boot sequence.

But seriously, I have a 1982 vintage Sansui G-3500 tuner-amplifier on my
desk, and when I have the volume way up I can hear the squawking from my
work PC as it does intensive work like saving an mp3 file or doing bulk
batch builds. I've never tried to correlate the sounds to the workload, but
I'm sure it's an art form waiting to be discovered.

In 1977 I was told by a Honeywell engineer that one of his colleagues wrote
an assembler program on punch cards that could be IPLd (booted) and would
play a sequence of musical notes by moving multiple tape drive heads back
and forth at certain speeds. In never saw it, but I never doubted it was
true.

*GK*