Hey Lisa,

I'm a bit baffled by that quote.

My dictionary states that advocacy means -

'support for people who are thought likely to be disregarded or to have
difficulty in gaining attention, so that their opinion is listened to'

And that lobbying means -

'a group of campaigners and representatives of particular interests who try
to influence political policy on a particular issue'

Essentially isn't it one in the same - advocacy being on a more personal
level and lobbying being on a political level.

I can't really see how you can have one without the other. You need the
personal to get to the political. There would be no point in lobbying the
Govt or politicians if there is no one that you are advocating for.

In my limited understanding and it is limited, because I don't work for or
on behalf of MC, but don't Unions and other orgs or bodies that deal with
such issues do both. Whilst advocating on behalf of a group of people for a
particular issue, they try to influence political policy on that particular
issue.

Ok, I'll stop getting off track - back to Uni work!

Jo