-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Lisa Barrett
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 8:13 AM
To: ozmidwifery@acegraphics.com.au
Subject: Re: [ozmidwifery] Re: Maternity coalition

Like a said Jo, It's something I read and I wondered what it meant in terms
of women.
I suppose the difference between the two definitions to me is that one is
directly involved with the women on a individual basis to get their opinion
noted and their needs addressed.

and the other is involved with changing political policy but doesn't involve

individuals and their difficulties but is trying over all to change for the
common good.

I was just asking.  Can a woman come to the MC one an individual basis and
get help from to address her individual difficulties with the system.  Which

is what consumer advocacy implies to me.  Or is it you take each case and
put them together to lobby public opinion and government for change which is

totally different.  Or is it both.

I field calls from many people with problems in the system looking for help.

I do give strategies and advice but some woman aren't able to get what they
want alone it would be nice to know that I could refer them on to a group
that could get involved.  Often they don't actually want an independent
midwife but just general help.  Although I do the best I can I'm one person.

I didn't think the maternity coalition did that sort of thing.  If they do
I'll start suggesting women get in touch.
Lisa Barrett