What do I do as an MC member (actually WA State President, but that's
by-the-by)?  Well, for starters, I do the following (and more besides):

        I help out individual women with questions about maternity care in
WA.  Perhaps they want to know where they can get a waterbirth (answer:
virtually nowhere in WA public hospitals), so I can tell them what the
situation is.  I can point them in the right directions to independent
midwives, support groups etc.

        I sit on a number of committees:  the Community Midwifery Programme
Steering Committee, the Exec Committee of the WA Branch of ACM, and a
Working Party for implementing a BMid at a local university.

        I recently was part of a workshop canvassing comment on the new
draft consultation document on maternity services ("Future Directions") and
submitted a written submission on the same document.  I also met with Dept
of Health personnel on the same subject.

        I keep an eye on local and national newspapers and write comments
where I believe maternity services (and midwifery-led care in particular)
need a balanced comment.

Yes - I do lobby (sometimes), and I do advocate (sometimes), and a whole
load of things beside.  I may march on parliament if needs be, and we do
meet regularly with MP's.  What I do, do is to try and represent the women
and men who come to me, and call for midwifery-led care as the
normal/default model for maternity services.

Maternity Coalition also provides prenatal information sessions "Choices for
Childbirth", although not in WA.

MC is much more than a lobbying organization (or an advocacy service).  We
represent consumers and are an umbrella organization for local groups.   For
those of you who know the National Childbirth Trust in the UK, there are
many similarities between MC and the NCT in their fledgling years ....

MC are always looking for people to support their work - why not join?   Oh
- by the way - I'm the national membership secretary so all you need to do
is contact me :-)

Debbie Slater
Perth, Wa