Here here Tania.

I don't know what is going on in other states regarding birth support
groups, in whatever role or title, but maybe an explanation of what we have
in SA might be helpful, in return I would love to hear about everyone else.

SA has a lovely history of birth groups. Those on the list who know more
than me about it, please add.

We have the Homebirth Network which has been going for many many years,
anyone in SA know how long?

Many moons ago, we had MAMA (?), Mums and Midwives working together, I
believe they successfully lobbied for a birth centre at one of our large
teaching hospitals. This group is now part of our history.

Name escapes me, but we have a group for our Ind Midwives too. Help on that
one?

CARES, a caesarean support group, established over 8 years ago by Jo,
Caroline and Emma. Going strong and doing amazing work.

Birth Matters, also established over 8 years ago. BM sees itself as a
generic support group, they provide the information so as choice is
available.

Maternity Coalition, established a few years, more low key here.

Our groups are well established and continue to function together as needed.
When we join forces so to speak, we go under the title of "The Birth
Networks of SA" or similar.

A number of the women in these groups wear many hats, and work very hard for
the cause. Always as a vounteer and nearly always with no previous
experience.
I too started off with 1 child, now with 4, as many of our families have
grown and along the way dealt with all the wonders life offers, sad and
happy.

SA has become less present in the lobby arena, lack of time and burn-out. We
seem to be focusing on support for now and getting out there to educate our
birthing Mums and Dads.

Next weekend Adelaide is hosting WOMAD, a world music festival, Birth
Matters with Homebirth Network have been fortunate to secure a stall. We
will have a wonderful oppurtunity to talk with thousands of people, delight
them with our beautiful births and handout good information.

We have been at Mothers and Baby expo a number of times, a tuff gig, to say
the least. Sharing the most intimate moment of your life, only to have women
loudly show there disgust at the video of a birth. Not the Grandmas or the
men, but women due to birth. It's a very tiring 3 days of your life.

Adelaides birth groups work independantly to and alongside each other. They
say it takes a village to raise a child, well it takes many forms to educate
our birthing community,
AND WE ALL MATTER!

SO, I look forward to reading about any birth groups out there, whatever you
are called and in what ever capaticty your contribution is.

A pat on the back to us all,

Cheers
Megan Resch

Of -----Original Message-----