Interesting question.

I subscribe to the Digest version, as with 2 other lists. I find this
more to my liking, because I'm not able to be in front of a computer
continuously all day. However, I do frequently get my email on the fly
from a PowerBook and mobile (cell) phone. Connection speeds are pretty
abysmal and it would be time prohibitive to download individual emails.
The Digests take an age in any case. But it means I can treat them almost
like paper magazines. I open the next one whenever I have a free moment,
which is sometimes a lot, sometimes not for a day or two.

The Digest is easily scrolled through, and has the advantage that every
single post can be quickly eyed for any interesting titbits. Of course
the downside is that may contain threads which I am not interested in,
but basically I'm a nosy bugger and like to keep track of most things.

Each Digest has a small index at the top so if there's a subject line
like 'PENTAX DSLR TO BE 12MP AT 1000 BUCKS!' I can quickly scroll to it
and have a laugh. It also means that if every subject line reads 'Why I
like guns' I can dump the whole Digest. Though having said that, I'll
probably scroll through because, like I said, I'm nosy. Good job I work
in news, eh ;-)

The time lag doesn't bother me, as my posts tend to be standalone essays
(zzzzz) rather than back-and-forth one-liners, although I have tried
that, which is interesting in Digest mode.

One habit I must get out of is proofreading my own postings in the
Digest, as it's blodydy uslessss...

Regards,

Cotty

Oh, swipe me! He paints with light!