>From a US perspective the price would be a little high.
But that machine should be capable of just about anything.

We've just bought an HP for home use, but which has more
than enough power to run Photoshop.  Our configuration is:

 o  Core 2 Duo processors   (you definitely win here)

 o  4GB RAM

 o  640GB (2x320GB)

 o  CD/DVD optical drive     Blu-Ray would be nice, but
                             it adds a lot to the price.

 o  17.3" 1600x900 screen    Your extra pixels are good

Not quite as good as yours, but we only paid $850 US.
That's around $1K AUD.

I don't know how much GST would add to that.