On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 04:40:19PM -0500, Graydon wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 10:13:00AM +1000, Tanya Love scripsit:
> > The reason I want such a high spec'd system is because it will be a long
> > time before I can afford to upgrade again and I really need this to be able
> > to work well for at least the next 3-4 years without the risk of becoming
> > outdated.
>
> If you can get it retail, it's outdated.
>
> Laptops have a half life around 1 year (a bit less, around 11 months,
> last time I looked at stats.)  4 years is 4 half-lives, one chance in 16
> of making it that far in time.

Well, my last laptop lasted me 6 years.  I'm going to clean off all the junk
and either do a clean reinstall of windows or (more likely) put Linux on it;
the biggest drawback it has is a max memory configuration of 1GB, but Linux
will run just fine in that.

A 2.4GHz Pentium 4 is still a decent amount of CPU power for everyday use,
and 1400 x 1050 isn't to be sneezed at.

I don't know how Australian prices compare to US prices, but I've always
thought that buying at the cutting edge made very little sense.  You can
easily double the price of the machine for perhaps a 20% increase in power
for most tasks. I think you're much better off buying a cheaper machine
today. If you really need more power then you'll be able to replace it in
two or three years for about the amount of money you saved (assuming, of
course, that you haven't spent the money on something else such as a lens).