On 2010-02-08 17:13 , Tanya Love wrote:
Anyways, can you Steve, or somebody else, explain to me what a "TN display"
is?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD#Twisted_nematic_.28TN.29>

IPS-type & VA-type displays are usually better for photo editing, though not common on laptops; the particular TN display on this Asus is glossy and probably optimized for saturated color and fast response, so i speculate that it may be even worse than some other TN displays for photo work

I was actually going to post specifically to ask about the pros/cons of a
gaming machine for the kind of work that I am doing but read some geeky type
forum threads of others who were trying to decide between the Asus G73 and
the Dell 6400 and as I know that the Dell is catered specifically towards
photographers, I assumed that the Asus would suit too.  I also did some
research and found that the graphics card on the Asus is better than the top
spec'd Geoforce card so thought that I would surely be fine with it.

not sure this kind of "better" matters much -- the type of "graphic card" that best suits gamers is one with lots of memory and very fast OpenGL performance; these factors don't benefit photographers much, though they shouldn't hurt; some apps can get "help" from the GPU on the graphics card, but from what i recall, Lightroom can't do that yet (someone correct me if that has changed); a monster video card might help with future photo software, but for now the i7 processor and the potential for 16GB of RAM are better helps for fast photo editing