My previous laptop Fujitsu N5010 lasted for 6 years - backlight
finally died.  Otherwise it still works.  My Sony laptop before that
lasted about 4 years.  I must be bucking the stats a bit.

--
Bruce

sh> On 2010-02-09 16:33 , John Francis wrote:
>>> Laptops have a half life around 1 year (a bit less, around 11 months,
>>> last time I looked at stats.)

sh> my previous MacBook Pro (3 years, 1 month old) has just taken over from
sh> an iMac G5 as our home server for backups, iTunes and document scanning;
sh> my old 12" PowerBook G4 (5+ years) is still going strong as my partner's
sh> laptop, and it served both her and her brother daily for about a year;
sh> now that the brother has moved out, we had hoped to give him my
sh> partner's previous laptop, a Pismo PowerBook G3 (9+ years old), but it
sh> hadn't been started in a year or so and something has gone askew in the
sh> power train; fixable, i expect; not going to do much Lightroom on that
sh> last one, but the G4 holds up well with Mac OS X 10.5 and iPhoto 09