Thanks Steve - this is the kind of information that I was hoping to hear.  I
do *want* a laptop over a PC because I like to be able to move around the
house, more so than take the computer out and about with me.  I often sit in
bed with my kids next to me working, or at the dining room table next to
them whilst they are doing their homework.  It would also give me the
opportunity when I need it to take it with me on a shoot etc.  I totally
agree with the battery life thing -the Asus G73 only has 1-2 hours, which is
crappity crap crap, however, as I am mostly using it at home, I always have
it plugged in anyways (my current HP has always had terrible battery life
and from Day 1, I've never even been able to watch a full length movie on it
without it dying).

The reason I want such a high spec'd system is because it will be a long
time before I can afford to upgrade again and I really need this to be able
to work well for at least the next 3-4 years without the risk of becoming
outdated.  I totally agree with you all about the size and weight but don't
need it to be *that* portable, but fast and able to handle anything that I
can throw at it for as long as possible is a priority.  I actually *really*
don't want a screen any bigger than my current 15.9" but if I have to live
with a bigger one to be able to get (and afford!) the specs that I need,
then I will.

To those who have suggested less spec'd laptops, I currently have a HP
Pavillion dv6500 - it is a 2Core Duo  T7100 @ 1.80 GHz.  I upgraded it last
week from 2 to 4gb, and also upgraded the HDD from 160gb (it was CONSTANTLY
full) 7200rpm to a 500gb 5400rpm.  It is running Vista Home Premium, 32bit.
Even since doing the upgrades last week, it is still struggling, especially
now that I have the much higher resolution images to work on from the K-7.
So, the plan is that my husband will inherit this one, and I will be set up
with the new one.  I am sooooo sick of twiddling my thumbs waiting for my
computer to do what I ask it to, and I haven't even really "gotten back
into" my photography work properly yet.  I am determined to kick off
properly this time and to be set up for a good, efficient work flow.  Well,
as much as I can afford anyways.

We already have a beautiful Samsung 22" monitor that will be used as my
second monitor and my main editing screen, however I *do* still need the
monitor to be decent.

Storage is also a very high priority, I hated dropping back to a 5400rpm HDD
when I upgraded last week, but soooo badly needed the extra space and
couldn't afford the 7200 equivalent, plus I knew that this computer would be
my hubby's and speed/performance is not an issue for him, all he ever uses
it for is to surf the net!  However, the Asus has two HDD bays and that is
important for me.  I really want a dual drive set up as I have lost two HDDs
and two memory cards in the past year and this has not been fun to live
through.  I did a beautiful shoot the other week with 4 cute little models
and pettiskirts, and I had a gorgeous scene set up in the rainforest
complete with an antique cast iron bed that we carted out there and the
whole lot disappeared when my 4gb Hitachi Microdrive finally gave up on me
(remember the surgery we all did many moons ago on those Creative Labs mp3
players?!? Lol).  I received 2 quotes to recover the shots, both amounting
to about $2400 and suffice to say, I will never get to see those shots
again! :(

Anyways, can you Steve, or somebody else, explain to me what a "TN display"
is?  I know what I *need* my display to be capable of (I want it to be as
high res as possible, and to be able to be calibrated accurately and to
render highlights and shadows properly (ie. to properly show hotspots and/or
blacks as well as a histogram can), but the technical side and specs of what
I need to achieve this is beyond my limited knowledge.

I was actually going to post specifically to ask about the pros/cons of a
gaming machine for the kind of work that I am doing but read some geeky type
forum threads of others who were trying to decide between the Asus G73 and
the Dell 6400 and as I know that the Dell is catered specifically towards
photographers, I assumed that the Asus would suit too.  I also did some
research and found that the graphics card on the Asus is better than the top
spec'd Geoforce card so thought that I would surely be fine with it.  But if
that's not the case and anyone could explain to me why, in language that I
can comprehend,  I would be very grateful! :)

Tan.