> Thanks for that insight Mark.  I was close to on the verge of
understanding
> that. And of course in PS, that's one of the things that bites me
frequently.
> Not damaging my original, but creating a sized version that I have trouble
> recreating later, sized differently.
>
> I feel a certain degree of ambivalence regarding workflow, because to me
it
> seems, at least with my images, that the same adjustments, a.k.a workflow,
> should NOT be applied to each image, because each is unique and therefore
> will likely require unique post-capture processing to reach its potential,
Sure
> if a series of shots are of a very closely related subject, but what about
the
> next where I turn 180 degrees and all the elements and lighting change?

you've misunderstood this, Tom. LR does not force you to apply any settings
to more than one image. You can work on each image individually exactly as
you describe. However you can if you wish apply the work you've done on one
image to any number of other images if you feel that's appropriate.

You can also set up parameters to your import that will apply to all the
images in an import, if you want. This is useful for things like captions
and similar exif data. I have an import preset which puts my name, address,
copyright info etc. on everything I import. For each import I also put in
some generic caption info, eg 'Cevennes, France. 2010', and keywords
(nature, landscape, france, people, rural, ...). When I edit the individual
pictures I put in more specific caption info and keywords.

Bob