As a slight aside here, I have been using Photoshop CS (version 8) for a
few years and never updated past that - but since I have effectively
stopped my stills photography, I am now using CS more and more for  a
lot of my video graphics. The nice thing about it is I can save the
artwork as .PSD files and they import straight into Final Cut, even as
layers if required. This gives me excellent control in Final Cut and it
all looks great.

If I were starting out again in stills and wanted to organise my work,
I'd try Lightroom and Aperture for sure - I think the workflow thing
with a prolific photographer would be pretty crucial.

That said, I'm so comfortable with CS that I wouldn't give it up.

--

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__