From: "Tom C"
Subject: Re: Adobe CS5 vs. Lightroom 3

In my world at least,and I suspect in many others, proflic <> great,
prolific <> good.

The good ones, ones worth keeping are far and few between, and the
excellent ones even more rare.

So routinely running a bunch of images through a workflow, only to
have done so, and then writing them to some directory on a hard drive,
possibly not to be viewed again (the vast majority not worthy of
further processing), is a bit akin to taking a roll of film down to
the local 'one size fits all 1 hour mini-lab', getting the prints and
negs back, and then throwing them in a box somewhere.

Again this is for me, and the way I work. I can tell quickly when
looking at the RAW images, which are worthy of futher consideration
and which are dustbin fodder. And those worthy of further
consideration, aside from a handful, here or there, will likely not
benefit from the same post-processing.

So do those of you using workflow do it largely for organizational purposes?

That's about all I use Lightroom for.
While I am an inveterate hoarder, someone who bins images that they don't thin worth keeping would have a great time with Lightroom, since you can go through a directory very quickly, sort out the gobbets of fresh meat from the cesspool of entrails and trash what looks yucky very quickly.

William Robb