Now, Tom, you ARE that client and can now communicate to the lab who will be making the finished prints (also you) what changes you want made by dodging or burning, retouching, cropping, horizon straightening, lens distortion repair, etc. on each and every final image. Then you must annotate each image with key words, dates, etc. on a mini-label for easy retrieval later before you place it carefully alongside the original slide in the appropriate filing cabinet, after making yet another dupe to be sent to archival storage in an abandoned bomb shelter. Up to this point, LR/Aperture would do the job for you, rapidly.

Now you must send the final print on to the graphics dept. for titling and anything else that is needed for finished copy. This final step is for Photoshop.

Maybe now you will have gotten it.

On Aug 7, 2010, at 15:31 , steve harley wrote:

On 2010-08-07 14:33 , Tom C wrote:
I don't find it odd at all.  Of course, I asked it.

What I find odd is that one would use an *automated* *image adjustment
workflow* in a manner that is like taking ones images to a 3rd party
processor and having all images processed using the same parameters.
One might get consistently mediocre or even decent results, but likely
not optimal, unless each image in the batch being processed was very
similar, and the adjustments were tuned to that batch or standard set
of shooting conditions.

i'm reading this carefully and trying to understand how it is relevant; i suppose a naive user of Lightroom might create one preset and push every last image through it with mediocre or garish results; like hammering screws; one coudl do that, but that's not at all what Lightroom is designed for -- might as well use a Photoshop action instead -- so i'm not sure whom it is you think would do what you find odd

Joseph McAllister
pentax...@mac.com

http://gallery.me.com/jomac