When the author writes: "Windows 8, on second thought, it really is
just as bad as it was when I first saw it."...  Well, that's what
really scares me.

Most company's have the common sense and foresight to at least make
the VERY FIRST THING you see about their product visually appealing
and enticing, so that you'll want to see more. If there's crap under
the hood, the customer may not learn that until after purchase. That
was Vista.

With Windows 8 Microsoft appears to have cut to the chase and shows
you crap right up front.

I work with other developers from time to time that create GUI's that
are visually messy, illogically asymmetric, have misaligned columns,
and misspellings. It doesn't get any better when you get in the code
or attempt to use it.

Tom C.