Reviews in our local serious computer magazine, 'Australian Personal Computer',
heartily endorse W8
for tablets, but suggest staying away from it for desktops, and not highly
recommended for laptops.
The biggest problem seem to be it is essentially touchscreen-oriented, and
that's an issue with most
desktop users - I certainly would not want to have to stretch out some 60-70cm.
to touch my monitor
to make things happen!  It is possible to switch to the classic interface, but
you have to do it on
every reboot - it doesn't stay set.
Personally, having this year bought a W7 64-bit system, I won't be upgrading
for some time.  I also
use a laptop with Vista - don't have big issues with the OS, I use it mainly
for taking to clients
as it runs Office 2010 perfectly well, and also handles Office 97-2003
documents and databases,
where most of my clients still are.

HTH

John Coyle