> On May 10, 2016, at 1:20 AM, Larry Colen <l...@red4est.com> wrote:
>

> Stanley Halpin wrote:

>>> I was wondering if it might be a Samyang.

>>> Thanks a bunch.  At first I thought that they were all vignetting down the
>>> left side, then I realized that was a tree trunk.
>>
>> Sorry about that. Not a good setup. After initial setup (with a longer lens)
>> I never looked through the viewfinder. Just swapped lenses, did a sequence
>> of shots, repeat for i = 1 to p where p=# of lenses.
>> But even with the dark tree trunk you can still get a sense of the vignette
>> effect (or not).
>>> I'm bummed about the 50-135, that is a range I need in FF for photographing
>>> tests at my dojo.  I guess I'll just use the 28-75 in crop mode for now.
>>
>> Which part of the 50-135 range are you actually using? And are you just
>> thinking about focal length? Or equivalent field of view? My guess would be
>> that on the K-1 the FOV you want would put you the long end of the 50-135
>> and so it might work out alright…
>
> On APS, I use the 28-75, and would appreciate both wider and longer, so that
> would be 42-105 on FF.  That is why I thought that 50-135 would be a nice
> range on FF.  Wider is more important than longer, because I can crop.
>
> So, a 24-70 on FF and one on APS and switching between the two might work.
> :-)

An alternate strategy to think about:
        As Bill mentioned, you have an option on the K-1 to shoot full frame,
APS-C crop, or Auto. The new little mode dial makes it easy to switch. So get
the K-1, get the D FA 24-70/2.8. Use it full frame. Except when you force it to
crop mode, and then you have a 42-105…

The open question is how good the K-1 is as a pseudo APS-C camera compared with
the K-5 or K-3. Is it as good or better even in this mode? [For values of
good/better which lie somewhere in a multidimensional space with dimensions
such as Resolution, Tonality, Resistance to noise at High ISO, Dynamic Range,
etc.]
stan